This ultra-fem Garden Girl look isn’t my usual travel style (read: black, studs, or leopard). But when shopping for my recent trip to New Orleans, I was ready to fully embrace the Spring weather and wanted a fresh, new look as I was traveling with old friends I hadn’t seen in a while. So when I came across this sweet floral top from Zara and these light blue linen scalloped shorts (which I’ve had my eye on for some time), I didn’t think twice about adding them to my packing list. Besides, with NOLA’s laid back vibe, a lush Garden District, and lots of sticky humidity, I figured this lightweight, spring look would work. Luckily, I was right…it carried me comfortably from our Loews Hotel lobby bar Bloody Mary stop (p.s. delish!) through my Garden District/Cemetery tour and back for a stroll along the unique French Quarter streets on my final day in the Big Easy.
Shop the look (or similar):
1. Topshop Rain Jacket 2. Mango Folding Umbrella 3. kate spade new york hair ties 4. Dirty Laundry Boots
A couple weeks ago, I realized that Mother Nature doesn’t really care about my travel plans. My suitcase was packed full of white jeans, linen shorts, bright spring colors, and open-toed sandals – totally NOLA ready. But the night before we left for our New Orleans escape, the forecast called for torrential rain all weekend at our destination. Besides being a total downer, an unexpected change in typical weather where you’re headed can cause travel fashion hysteria. To avoid the style panic, and to stay dry, here’s some chic rain gear we suggest you stock up on now & some general packing tips for a soggy destination.
1. Jane Post Raincoat 2. Mason Michel Rain Bonnet 3. MARC by Marc Jacobs umbrella 4. MARC by Marc Jacobs Ponies 5. kate spade new york jelly
Packing Tips For A Soggy Destination:
- Swap out suede fringe sandals for rubber fringe rainboots
- Throw a travel umbrella (aim for itsy-bitsy) in the carry-on
- Pack a thin raincoat or slicker at the top of your suitcase (or wear it on the plane to keep warm if it can pass for a regular jacket)
- Wear the rain boots, don’t even try to pack those bulky things
- Or, consider leaving the boots at home and pack waterproof flats
- Stock up on hair ties and accessories, because no one likes drippy hair in their face
- Shop online – Amazon Prime or Zappos can save the day with free 2 day (or in some cases 1 day or even 2 hour) shipping and deliver things directly to your hotel. Just call ahead to the hotel and tell them a package is arriving. Or, call the concierge and have them suggest nearby shops for what you need.
It’s a total bummer seeing a forecast of 80-90% chance of rain for your weekend escape. Don’t make things worse by spending your next trip searching for rain gear. Be prepared. If you have these cute rainy day essentials on hand before traveling, you’ll be ready (and almost anxious) for the downpour at your destination or at home…like right here, right now in South Florida during rainy season.
Shop This Post:
Welcome to Arrive Chic Travel Contests & Giveaways where I share the wealth with loyal readers & followers and giveaway some of my fabulous travel finds.
It’s been some time since I’ve treated you all to a giveaway so here you go! There’s really never a bad time for this Travel Giveaway: Tweezerman Luxe Crystal Brow Kit. As far as I’m concerned, every jetsetting beauty needs a crystal bejeweled tweezer set to maintain those statement brows. Plus, with Mother’s Day around the corner, this set would make the perfect gift for Mom!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Tweezerman Luxe Crystal Brow Kit (retailing at $75) comes with the following:
- A fabulous crystal bejeweled, stainless, Mini Slant Tweezer by Tweezerman
- Tweezerman Eyenhance Highlighter pencil
- Tweezerman Mini Browmousse
- Tweezerman Mini Brow Styling Brush
- Tweezerman Metallic Silver Leather Travel Case
This great gift (whether it’s for Mom or yourself) weighs in at only 1 pound and is so small and light you can take it not only on your travels but also around town for those out-of-control brow moments. Travel Tip: Just to be safe, pack this luxe set in your checked bag or if you’re a carry-on girl, save it for road trips and around town. Though some TSA agents will let you through security with it, others may not. So, are you liking the Travel Giveway: Tweezerman Luxe Crystal Brow Kit? I mean, really, what’s not to like? Enter the giveaway before the winner is randomly selected at noon EST (12:00 p.m.) on Tuesday, May 5th!
Photography: Bentley Waters Photography | Destination: New Orleans, LA | Hotel: Le Méridien
I spent last weekend exploring a new destination, New Orleans (The Big Easy), with old friends. Being a party town, I knew for weeks that this fun, girly, trapeze dress was coming with me. What I didn’t know was how comfortable it would be when chowing down on dinner at Sylvain (yum, those scallops) and sipping our way up Frenchman Street. Being so flowy, it’s totally forgiving and who doesn’t love that by night’s end? Besides, wearing a multi-colored dress is just smart in New Orleans so you’re sure to match any Mardi Gras beads tossed around your neck. This geometric trapeze dress was shot on the sleek staircase in the modern lobby of our hotel. Thanks, Le Méridien, for the perfect setting.
Shop the Post (and similar):
I’ve been on a kick lately to spruce up the house. I figure, if I absolutely love my living space then I’ll relish in my time at home instead of counting the days until the next departure. I’ll put the suitcase down and enjoy the view. The only problem? I haven’t found much decor I’m into…until now. Minted, the online marketplace for independent designers (and the creators of gorgeous foiled holiday cards), has a huge selection of limited edition Minted art and custom photo art with my name all over it. I’m in love with these 12 pieces because they remind me of where I’ve been, help me appreciate where I am, push me towards where I want to go, and even tell me how to get there.
Where I’ve Been & Where I Am
1. London Skyline by Kelsey McNatt – London has a special place in my heart. It’s the first place I traveled to internationally with my family. It was also my home for 5 months when studying abroad in college. It’s here that I truly fell in love with travel.
2. Abstract Triangles by Paper Dahlia – This Minted art print instantly reminds me of sparkling turquoise swimming pools so often around me in Miami. One look at this and I’ll definitely stop and appreciate the beauty right here at home.
3. Lines by Lucrecia – This photograph draws me in and takes me back to my fast-paced fashion days in Manhattan when I would stare straight up the tall skyscrapers just to see the sky. However, the colorful shot was taken in Paris, another city I love.
4. Mom Love by Sara Hicks Malone – My two little boys are my everything and this simple heart design over a shot of us together and the caption, “you are my everything,” truly would be everything to me. I adore it.
5. How Do I Love Thee? by fatfatin – Sadly, I still haven’t gotten our wedding photos on the wall. This unique design, among others, will finally get me to cross this off the to-do list and help me surround myself with pictures of my wonderful husband when I can’t be by his side.
6. Florida Map Filled by GeekInk Design – I’ve been looking for a Florida print for some time with zero luck. Most just seem to be the expected flamingo or art deco shot. But this gold foil Florida Map is perfection.
Where I Want To Go & How To Get There
7. Vacancy by Jennifer Little – You won’t catch me in an old, run down hotel, but I might be outside photographing the cool vintage hotel sign. This one reminds me of the Jersey Shore where my husband and I spent our early summers together. I hope to head back one day with our kids.
8. Hummingbird by Sara Shashani – Whether it’s with my career, my life long goals, or just my wardrobe, I think it’s important to be true to yourself and dare to spread your wings and fly. Hanging this hummingbird in my home, would remind me of that daily. If I’m lucky, I’ll do it with grace and style like this gorgeous bird.
9. Tiles by Chasity Smith – Going to Africa for a photographic safari is #1 on my Dream Vacation List and this Minted art print helps me visualize myself there, with a giant giraffe nearby.
10. Prism Diamond by Paper Monkey Press – Staring at this huge rock everyday would inspire me to work harder than ever to get to that giant gem. And by that I don’t mean a 10 carat diamond, though I’m fond of those too. I mean, the gems beyond my biggest dreams and past the furthest goals. If you reach for the asher cut stars, you’ll land among the clouds.
11. A Helpful Reminder by Annie Clark – This one just makes me laugh. Endless times I’ve heard this from my husband and have said it to myself as I dash out the door. Focus, prioritization, and organization are essential in my daily success. And it all starts with Keys Wallet Phone…which are all too often difficult to find in this house. A helpful reminder never hurt anyone.
12. Upside by Alexandra Nazari – Maybe it’s because I’m surrounded by palm trees, but this upside down palm tree shot is so refreshing. It reminds me to look at things from a different point of view and to get a lot more creative with my own photography.
Be sure to check out the entire fabulous art collection at Minted.com. And if you’re a Bride-to-Be, don’t miss their new Wedding Invitation Collection. I’m loving the foiled pressed invites for black tie weddings and unique styles like Anchor Tattoo Love, Roll of the Dice, New York Skyline, and Papel Picado Wedding Invitations for fun destination weddings on the shore, in Vegas, in NYC, and in Mexico.
Sponsored by Minted
Since 2015 seems to be flying by, I’ve created my own Spring To-Do List so life is experienced to the fullest this beautiful season!
Embrace the floral trend
I’m not the girly, floral type, but with chic, feminine, and edgy looks like this spring playsuit by Keepsake, I’m fully embracing the floral trend with both arms.
Egg Hunt & Bunny Cake
This Sunday, you’ll find me hunting eggs and eating my annual homemade (ok, well, home-decorated) bunny cake. My little boys wouldn’t let Easter go by without either one.
With views like we have in Miami, sailing is always on my to-do list. Sadly, I don’t take advantage of it much. This season, I want to get my butt on a boat and go sailing before the summer sun attacks.
Shop the 38 stores on the Miami Racked 38 List
Shopping, anyone? Make that window shopping with most of the prices in shops on Miami’s 38 Essential Shopping Experiences List, Spring 2015. Still, my pulse literally races when seeing amazing designer duds, or what I explain to the hubs as “wearable art”, in person. So, I’ll be hitting all 38 of these.
Strawberry & Fresh Flower picking with the kiddos
Burr’s Berry Farm doesn’t disappoint the kiddos with strawberry fields forever…and milkshakes to refresh yourself after u-pick. Plus, you get to pick your own fresh flowers out of the ground! I’m hooked.
Discover A New City With Old Friends
Obvi, I love travel. But discovering a new city is my favorite and adding old friends to the trip is the ultimate joy for me. This month, I head to New Orleans for the first time to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Beignets and Bourbon Street, here I come.
Pastel Polish, Please
Splash At A Waterpark
Now that the water’s warming up, we are adding Splash at a Waterpark to the Spring to-do list. Since my kids are preschoolers, we look for waterparks that are toddler-friendly like Jacob’s Aquatic Center in Key Largo. Discovered this gem last summer and we’ll be back ASAP.
Hit Coyo Taco & Wynwood ArtWalk
Somehow, I always miss these Second Saturday Wynwood ArtWalks in Miami. This season, it’s happening…with a yummy Coyo Taco in hand.
All Floridians should have the beach on their Spring to-do list. Everyone in the Sunshine State is within driving distance, the temperature is perfection this season (sunny & 82 today), and you’ll beat the crowds before summer.
The Annual Disney World Trip
Though Disney is spectacular over the holiday season (I suggest the week after Thanksgiving weekend for the shortest lines), Disney in Spring is wonderful too. The weather is warm enough for a delicous Dole Whip and crisp enough to not sweat through your entire outfit 5 minutes into the park. Plus, Epcot has their incredible International Flower & Garden festival.
Sunsets with the Hubby
Is there anything more romantic than watching the sunset with your love? Not in my book. Head to the west coast of Florida one crisp evening to catch this stunning view before it slips into the horizon.
Finalize Summer Vacation
I’m usually a bit of a last minute travel planner, I must admit. So, our Summer Vacation Plans are still up in the air. NC? CO? The Bahamas? Wherever I head, if I want to take advantage of those fares and even have a shot at a hotel room or summer house, the time is now to finalize my summer vacation.
Improve My Golf Score
I plan on improving my golf score this season…MINI golf that is. It’s a major spring to-do list item in my family with fun mini-golf courses in Florida like Castle Golf in Ft. Myers where you can win a prize if you get a hole-in-one and play a second round for less than 2 bucks.
What’s on your Spring To-Do List?
Shop the post:
Former NYC fashion industry girl, forever traveler, foodie at heart, and now Mom in Miami. My blog, Arrive Chic, covers the style I find in everyday life both on the road and at home, often with my two energetic little boys in tow.
Subscribe to our posts
Sign up for our newsletter.